Thursday, January 26, 2012

Up and Coming



Like the cover up there? I do. That’s Legacy, the long-awaited (by me; damn thing took forever to write) sequel to Belonging. I’ve blogged about both books enough already, so let’s just sit back and admire Jinger Heaston’s Twilightesque cover for a minute. The vampire, the human, and the woman who’s a bit of both and unites the group. I don’t know if Jinger read any of the manuscript or if that was accidental, but her layout certainly works out symbolically as well as artistically. You can’t ask for more from a cover artist.

I love it when one of my books comes out. Then I can post cover pics and excerpts and not have to worry about coming up with a blog topic. It’s too soon for excerpts since I haven’t gotten final edits on the book yet. That’ll be next month. It’s tentatively due for release on February 16. About six to eight weeks after that I can expect to find the print version on Amazon. Next to holding your newborn child, holding a physical copy of your finished book is the best damn feeling in the world. This is why I haven’t switched over to Kindle yet.

That could change by the end of the year, maybe sooner. Now that Legacy is off my to-do list, it’s back to work as a writer, which includes my new sidebar career as a writer of M/M, under a brand-new pseudonym. This means reading more M/M … just to see what’s being done in the genre, of course. There’s a ton more M/M romance being e-pubbed than I can find in print, so at some point I’ll have to invest in a Kindle or Nook so I can read more dirty books—I mean, do research. Yeah, that’s what we’re calling it these days. Damn, I love this job.

Yesterday I uploaded my entry to Amazon’s Breakout Novel contest. That was another project that messed up my schedule for awhile, as it was yet another long book (94K words), this time in the fantasy genre. No romance, just a lot of action, smart remarks, and the possible end of the world. It hasn’t a hope of winning, it being genre and all, but I’m hoping it advances far enough along that I get to the editorial critique stage. If nothing else, having a set deadline forced me to finish the thing. I now have a completed manuscript I can either sub to a fantasy publisher or consider publishing on my own. Self-publishing is something else I have to look into this year.

Back to work. I have the M/M shapeshifter story I was working on when the Legacy edits came in, and the other M/M story that blindsided me while I was working on the first one. Then I think I’ll take a break and do M/F for a while. It pays to keep busy. And how’s your week going?

9 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Pat, you are so wonderfully busy!

Twilightesque... is that the word you made up? I luv it! And that cover is exceptional, and so perfect with the rest of our cover art.

Hey, good luck in the breakout contest. I'm trying to get my midnight stardust cowboys to 'breakout' fast. I even have Amanda working on the cover art.

Oooh, a new author name for manlove. Are you going to post it here too?

Pat C. said...

When you get your cover, we want to see it! This blog is great for promo-ing. In fact, when Legacy comes out, I may want to use TM for Six Sentence Sunday. You tend to post those on SSS anyway.

I'm thinking about "Jenna Wolf" as my manlove side, to acknowledge my shapeshifter ties. I had a list of possible pen names cobbled together from Star Trek character and actor names, but none of them seemed to fit the M/M genre. ("Kelly McCoy" writes romantic comedy, while "Dana Stewart" and "Bev McFadden" handle paranormal/suspense).

Savanna Kougar said...

Oh, I'll be showing it off, but it'll be awhile. In the meantime, I'm doing my best to madly pen toward the finish line.

Please! Use TM for six sentence Sunday. I'll plan on using SSS since it's a Talbot's Peak story anyway.

Oooh, some good pen name choices. I like. What about a manlove pen name that could be either a woman or a man's name? I've noticed some authors are doing that. Hmmm... Jesse Wolf? Or Jess Wolf?

Pat, unless you don't want to mix and match, you might as well put all your genre titles on TM. You could just say they aren't romance, or only have romantic elements.

If I only had more time, I'd Indie publish two experimental stories, novella and a novel I wrote in the late nineties that got some praise from the first owners of Hard Shell and also from judges. Although, some hated them as well.

Pat C. said...

I don't have any genre titles available yet, other than what's out through S/BS. I need to get off my butt. One of the M/Ms has shapeshifters, but the other involves superheroes. Okay, the bad guy shapeshifts into a dinosaur creature. I suppose that would work on SSS.

Hey, if you find the time, publish. The readers may love them. Critics are constantly panning movies that the public loves, so what do judges know?

Savanna Kougar said...

We have super heroes at Shapeshifters... White Fang, for one...

Of course, a bad guy who shapeshifts into a dinosaur would work.

I could always dimensionally bring in my four superhero and one superheroine in Her Insatiable Dark Heroes... plus, there are superhero secondary characters that would work.

Pat C. said...

And I'll bring in Wallace and Jeremy. Boy, Talbot's Peak sure is getting crowded. They may have to build a new housing development. Or would that be a petting zoo?

Pat C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savanna Kougar said...

A housing park, petting zoo combo... room to run... plus, lots of ranching land to invest in out there.

Serena Shay said...

Oooh, I love the new cover, Pat! It's perfect for the story. I'm itching to get my hands on it. :D

New pen name, how fun! I like Jenna Wolf and also Jessie/Jess Wolf... you could also go with Gordi or is it Jordi Wolf. LOL...you have me mixing and matching New Generation names in my head! ;)

I agree, Savanna, please share Amanda's cover art when it's ready...she rocks the covers. :)