Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Call, Part II

I wanted to share with you the second part of my “getting the call” story. You can see the first post here.

On Friday June 6th my agent, Roberta Brown, woke me up with a phone call. I was asleep because I'd worked until 11:30 p.m the previous night at my "regular" job then worked until 2:00 a.m at my "favorite" job, which is writing. She apologized and said she would call back later. I told her there was no way I was going back to bed because I knew she wasn’t calling to chat.

And I was right.

Roberta called to tell me John Scognamiglio of Kensington was offering a three-book deal for my novel, Virgin Harvest.

Now mind you, I was not fully awake yet so I had to pinch myself three times to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. (I have a bruise on my butt to prove this!) I was also miffed that I had been sleeping--why couldn't I get "the call" when I was actually doing something like writing?

I wasn’t dreaming, but the enormity of everything took two days to sink in. When it did, my reaction was something like, “Oh my God! I’m finally going to be a published author!” and then I panicked, "Oh my God! I've got to write two more novels!"

Virgin Harvest will come out next summer under the Kensington Aphrodisia line. I have my deadlines for delivering the other two novels (both erotic romances). I can’t wait to see the cover art and from what I’ve heard about John, he’s going to be a wonderful editor to work with.

I found this out the morning I was leaving on a vacation to Moab, Utah, where I hang out with my dad and we go white water rafting. (The picture is me navigating Rocky Rapid, the most technical rapid on this part of the Colorado River.)

Needless to say, we had a huge celebration! My father is my biggest, best-est, cheerleader since I lost my mother three years ago. I am very, very blessed in that my entire family supports me completely. My brother called from Belize to give me a hug over the phone and my sister stalker-called until she got through to me at my father's house. All this just to say, "You go, girl!"

I've also gotten a ton of emails from supportive writer pals and I'm so overwhelmed I'm almost in tears. It's been a long road for me to get to this point. I wouldn't have made it without the support of my family, my friends, and my writing companions.

I wanted to share but I also wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who helped me along this path. I know deep down to the sticking place in my heart, I couldn't have done this without you!

Thank you so much for letting me share my news!

39 comments:

Mel Hiers said...

OMIGOD!!! Congrats, Anitra! I'm jumping up and down and sqeeing for ya!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Mel! I've been doing a lot of jumping too. It's like I'm on a pogo stick! :)

Mel Hiers said...

Hey, it's what Tiggers do best, right? Are you doing anything special to celebrate? Sounds like you and your family have started already!

Savanna Kougar said...

Yay!!! Anitra, I knew you'd get the BIG ONE. I hear Kensington is a great place to be -- which is even better! From what I know of the various NY publishing houses, it's the only one I'd consider right now.
Tigger on a pogo stick, I always wanted to be able to do that!
Congrats! as a word just doesn't seem big enough. I'm thrilled for you!
Hey! Can I steal part of your blog to post on Kougar Kisses today?

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Mel--we did a big cookout on the river and they even brought a bottle of champagne!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Sav! And thank you so much! Absolutely you can use my blog for yours. :)

I think Kensington has some real exciting books coming out and I'm thrilled to be a part of that house.

And Tigger was always my favorite! If only I had a springy tail I could bounce all over the place!

Evonne Wareham said...

Fabulous news Anitra - we knew it was only a matter of time! Three books - wow.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Evonne! Roberta was thrilled that he contracted for three rather than the usual two--John just really, really loved the story. :)

Mel Hiers said...

"John just really, really loved the story. :)"

Of course he did, because you're just that awesome!

And that sounds like it was the perfect way to celebrate! :-)

Patricia Sargeant said...

Anitra!!! Anitra!!! I'm so thrilled and totally jazzed for you! Hearty congratulations!!!Awesome, awesome news!!! I can't wait to see your books on the shelf, carry them to the cashier and say, "Ring me up, Scottie!" :)

I've also heard wonderful things about John S. I'm very, very happy for you. Smooches!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Awwww, thanks Mel!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Patricia! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing my good news! Who would have guessed we'd be agent and publisher buddies! :)

Savanna Kougar said...

Okay, just for fun, Anitra, it is your day on Kougar Kisses. Just in case you want to see your name and success some place else on the world wide webbie.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Sav! I went over and left a note. :)

Cynthia Eden said...

Congratulations, Anitra!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thank you, Cynthia!

Jodi Lynn Copeland said...

Congrats, Anitra! The Aphrodisia family is great. :)

Send me your email address to: Business@jodilynncopeland.com and I will get you signed on to the Authors list-serve.

~ jodi

Liz Falkner said...

Congratulations!! I read about your good news over on Passionate Ink.

What an excellent deal! Can't wait to read your book!!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Jodi! I'll email you shortly!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Liz! Thanks for popping over to our blog--I'm celebrating all over the place! :)

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Fantastic news, Anitra. I'm so pleased for you. It was only a matter of time...and your time's here!

Holli Bertram said...

Anitra!! I'm late to the party, but Whoo Hoo!! A three book deal with Kensington. Congratulations!!! This is fabulous news.

Leigh Duncan said...

Anitra -- Oh! Oh! Oh! I'm soooo excited for you! A three-book deal -- that's fabulous! (There aren't nearly enough exclamation points to express how happy I am for you!!!) Congratulations! (And I'm so glad Launching A Star could play a small part in your success.) Lee

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Helen! It's funny because it seemed to take forever and then it all happened so fast!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Holli! I think you are just fashionably late. :) And thanks so much! I think I'm going to break the exclamation key on my keyboard!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Lee! I just can't thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to make all this come together. Thanks to Launching a Star for launching my star! :)

Trish Milburn said...

Anitra! I'm so sorry I'm late responding to this, but this is FANTASTIC news! Huge congratulations.

Lexie O'Neill said...

Anitra,
I'm so sorry I'm late responding to this! Wow.
What does one say when a dream comes true? Congratulations! Congratulations!! Congratulations!!!!
Lexie

Anonymous said...

Last one at the table. This is what I get for not hanging out here more often. But a 3-book deal? Lemme add my best Homer Simpson "Whoo-hoo!" to the congrats list. You go all the way!

So... erotic romance, eh? Are we going to get a blog on how you do your research?

Pat

Savanna Kougar said...

Pat, good one! I think I'd like to see that blog too!
'Course, I could in trouble here too, since several of mine are in that category.
But, I'll leave it to Anitra, and bow to her knowledge and research.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Trish--better late than never is what I always say! And thanks for the congrats--it's been very exciting and a little bit intimidating because now I've got to produce!

Lexie--some cyber champagne and strawberries always hits the spot for celebrations! So I have plenty for everyone. :)

Pat--thanks for the Homer! I could actually hear that sound in my head (I should probably turn the TV off and get back to the keyboard!) ;)

And as for research . . . I'm taking the 5th!

Sav--It would be a fun blog but probably not appropriate for Title Magic. ;) there is a blog for the Aphrodisia authors but I haven't gotten my hands into yet. If I do, I'll let you know. ;)

Thanks again everyone!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Oh, and a bit about the sale:

John bought Virgin Harvest, which is complete and about 420 pages. The second book is tentatively titled Dark Harvest, which I'm writing now. I have about 50 pages done so far and it's writing very fast. The second one is easier in that all the world building has been established in the first novel.

The third novel is untitled and I can write in this series (I was thinking Final Harvest) or I could write another stand-alone novel I've been playing with for a year.

I guess we'll decide that when we get there.

Mai Christy Thao said...

Omigod, omigo, omigod. Anitra, I can't believe I missed this!! Wow!!! And to think, you snatched Roberta from a contest only a few months ago. Yay!!! I'm sooooo excited for you!!

Savanna Kougar said...

Anitra, yeah, let me know about the Aphrodisia blog. Is it for readers and authors?

Hey, just a thought, but I vote for Lust Harvest as the third book.

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Hi Mai! And I totally owe getting my foot in the door to the Launching a Star contest. That's where Roberta discovered me. Since then she has worked tirelessly to find me the right editor and I think she has hit the nail on the head. I've heard nothing but good things about John, especially from the other Aphrodisia authors who work with him.

Sav--you can find the blog here:

http://theaphrodisiaauthors.blogspot.com/

and it's open to everyone. I haven't really had a chance to check it out since I've been writing a lot. ;0

Oooo now I might have to steal that name from ya! ;)

Judi Fennell said...

Anitra!!!!! YAY!!!! So excited for you! Congrats!

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

Thanks Judi!

Anonymous said...

Make the third one a comedy and call it Hardy Har Harvest.

Ha ha, can't touch me, I'm in a public place.

Pat

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

ROTFL! It would be fun to write! Even if I couldn't sell it I could post it on my page for die hard fans.

Well, I'd have to get some fans first . . . :)